Nothing like a bowl of chili on a cold day. This recipe is sure to warm you up with big chunks of beef and spiced just right.
Bold & Meaty Chili[print-me target=”#printme”]
- 3 ½ – 4 lbs. stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained
- 2 cups strong black coffee
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (pre-mix with ¼ cup water to moisten into a thin sauce)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (can be less or even omitted completely for milder chili)
- 2 tablespoons masa harina flour
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
Brown beef in a Dutch oven; drain. Remove beef.
Saute onions until translucent over med-low heat. Add garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
Add beef back into onions and garlic.
Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, 2 cups coffee, cocoa mixture, paprika, cumin, salt, chili powder, and ground red pepper.
Cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours, or until beef is tender.
Dissolve 2 tablespoons masa into 1/4 cup hot water to make a thick, but flowable mixture.
Add masa mixture to chili.
Cover and simmer another 15-20 minutes.
Serve with shredded cheese, jalapenos, sour cream and chopped onion on the side.