When it comes to window installation, you might be looking for a product that provides peak protection against serious storms. The type of window you choose for your home makes a significant difference, not just aesthetically, but also in terms of safety, insulation, and noise control. We’re sharing the difference between traditional windows vs impact windows, and how to make the right choice for you.
Characteristics of Traditional Windows
Regular house windows, often referred to as traditional windows, are the standard choice in many homes. But what are the features of traditional windows?
- Provide protection from drafts and the elements.
- They come in a variety of styles and designs, allowing you to personalize your home. Some of the most popular options include double hung, casement, and picture windows.
- Today’s replacement windows are designed for energy savings. You can enjoy a comfortable home and lower energy bills with technologies including low-e, and argon or krypton gas.
However, these windows have their limits. They may not hold up well under extreme weather conditions, such as hurricanes and high winds. If these windows break from strong storms, glass will shatter in your home which may result in serious injuries.
What are Impact Windows?
Impact windows, also known as hurricane windows, are designed to withstand the most severe weather conditions. In fact, some impact windows can withstand winds of over 150 MPH. Here are some standout features:
- Impact windows have two layers of tempered glass, with a layer of clear polyvinyl butyral (PVB) sandwiched between. This combination makes them incredibly resilient against high winds and flying debris.
- Even if an impact window shatters, the PVB layer holds the broken pieces together, reducing the risk of injury. The glass will break in a spiderweb pattern. This design generally resists shattering.
- These windows offer excellent insulation, potentially saving you money on energy bills.
- Impact windows can significantly reduce outdoor noise, perfect for homes in busy areas.
The primary downside of impact windows is their higher initial cost compared to regular windows. But considering the added benefits and long-term savings, many homeowners find them worth the investment.
Should You Consider Impact Windows from Royal Home Improvement?
When considering the installation of impact windows, you should keep the following factors in mind:
- You live in an area prone to hurricanes, tropical storms, or high winds.
- You’re looking to enhance the security of your property against break-ins and burglaries.
- You want to create a quieter and more peaceful indoor environment.
- If you’re concerned about energy efficiency, impact windows with low-emissivity coatings can help minimize heat transfer.
Whether traditional or impact windows sound right for you, Royal Home Improvement can help. Royal Home Improvement offers an award-winning service, higher standards, and an honest effort to get you the most value for your money. You will never second guess yourself for choosing Royal Home Improvement! Contact us today for a free estimate!